Sunday, January 9

Lemonade Diet

After graduating last summer from BYU, I, Clint Carlos, have become one of the many victims to deskitis. This disease is impacting the lives of millions of Americans and its effects have become universally recognizable. Symptoms include: excessive inflammation around the hips; severe expansion below the frontal ribs; increased occasion of heavy breathing and profuse sweating. In other words, lovehandles, fatty gut, and being out of shape. I may not have been hit that hard, but there's no hiding the detriment to my physique.

Being fed up with the downward trend I had been observing in the mirror, I decided to join with my business partners and do something about it. We heard about a treatment called "The Master Cleanse" aka "The Lemonade Diet" (http://thelemonadediet.com/). Rumor had it people typically lose 2 lbs per diem on it. They come off it sleeping better, digesting better, feeling calmer, healthier in general, and facing fewer addictions than when they started. The catch is how much you give up to experience those results. For 10 or more days, eating of any sort is not allowed. The diet calls for drinking about 10 glasses of a specially mixed drink (including lemons, maple syrup and cayenne pepper) per day--only.

Well to make a long story short, I'm over 4 days into the diet. I haven't been as hungry as I had imagined. As I begun the diet I was coming down with a sinus infection. The diet purged it over a couple dreadful days as the toxins were released. I feel better now, but today the real dilemma took place.

I was at costco with nothing but the good intentions of buying lemons and maple syrup at a reduced price. Lo and behold, those sneaky old ladies were there offering samples galore. It was hell. I passed on the pizza pockets, the chicken nuggets, the cinnamon rolls, the diet cola, the popcorn, the pretzels and the rotisserie chicken...and then there it was. Progresso vegetable soup. It looked warm and tasty and--best of all--wouldn't do much harm to my now sensitive stomach. I cracked under pressure and took the sample. Within a few seconds it was over. I had compromised my values; I had given in. I had justified it completely. Afterall, it was only liquid, I was behind on my daily allotted quantity and I had already suffered through a sinus infection--I deserved it!

The question I pose to you all is, "Am I justified in this exception or have I fully compromised this diet by today's slip?" FOr consistency's sake, let's suppose I stay true the remaining 6 days. What do you think?

1 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Andrew Allgaier said...

Clint,

How's the old diet going? I don't know you and you don't know me, but since I'm suffereing from deskitis as well, I feel that I can rationalize asking you as if we've known each other for years. But seriously, I'd like to know if this lemonade diet really works.

To say that you have "fully compromised [the] diet" is a bit over the top. If you keep going for the remainder of the diet, I seriously doubt there will be any effects from your sampling of veggie soup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home